-->

Friday, July 23, 2010

Colorizing Grayscale Images

So, many digital scrappers out there will offer a grayscale PNG file for your use.  These come in handy when you are in a pinch and do not have time to design the element yourself.   So, this tutorial will show you how to colorize a grayscale image.  I will be using the Rickrack made in an earlier tutorial that I have made into a grayscale.  But you can use any grayscale image you have available.

Step 1 – Open the PNG file you wish to use.  (Pretty basic right?)

The image I am using appears as below:

image 

Step 2 – Select Adjust/Hue and Saturation/Colorize.

Step 3 – Pick the color you want to use.  For deeper colors (depending on how the grayscale image was saved) you can decrease your saturation.  For the purpose of this tut we will change the rickrack to blue.  See below:

image

Noticed I used a lower saturation point.  For a brighter blue you can slide the saturation to 255 or however bright you want it.

Our rick rack now looks like the image below.

image

The next step is optional:

Optional Step – Increase your brightness or contrast by selecting Adjust/Brightness And Contrast/Brightness/Contrast.  I want to make mine darker so I will use the settings below:

image

My Rickrack now appears as below:

image

Now I have a new color of rickrack without having to go through all the steps necessary to create a new one from scratch!

You will have to play with your settings depending on the image you are using.  I hope you found this helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment